Golf is one game which needs lot of effort and time and not to mention great amount of mental fortitude, skills and even perseverance for excelling at it. Its explosive nature of swing can also put tremendous amount of the stress on body and majority of the professional golfers have also experienced some of the nagging injuries at one point of time or other in their careers. There are many of the common injuries that can happen in Golf. But you don’t need to be professional for experiencing them. Even the casual golfers can get them but many of them can be prevented as well.
Factors that contribute to the injuries that can happen in Golf
There are many factors which gives rise to these golf injuries which includes the list as,
- Over practice and overuse
- Poor mechanics of swings used
- Over swinging
- Not warming up properly before start playing the game
- The rotational stress placed on spine
- Incorrect setup and grip
- The traumatic force to body which results from poor executed swings
All these factors are the one can that can lead to some of the most common injuries.
The injuries that can happen in Golf
- Back pain: As per the research, around 80 to 85 per cent of the Americans experience some back pain during their lifetime. The rotational stress of swing place pressure on muscles and spine. Compound with fact that these golfers spend around 4 to 5 hours in the bent over the stance, which repeats similar motion hundred number of time. Without any wonder, playing of golf can also cause some of the strains in back which leads to many injuries too. for keeping the back healthy for golf and even adding the exercises which can strengthen or stretch the back.
- Tendinitis in elbows: The tendinitis is inflammation and irritation of tendon issue. It is one of the common conditions which affect elbows. It is referred frequently as tennis elbow. There is a risk to get tendinitis increment with the age and is also higher in the people that routinely perform the activities which need repetitive movement that can increase the stress in the tendons as hitting the golf balls. Additionally, these injuries can also aggravated by improper swing motions.
- Knee pain: The knee pain can also occur from strain placed on weak knee for stabilizing rotation of hip axis at beginning of swing. The extreme force placed on knee which can result in the torn ligaments. The arthritis sufferers can also experience some of the knee problems due to degenerative nature of disease that results in gradual wearing away of the joint of the cartilage.
- Rotator cuff: The pain can be felt in shoulder or upper arm at some phases of golf swing and during night and when the arm overhead extends. Injuries to rotator cuff can also be sustained through the traumatic force that results from poor golf swing, taking deep divot & from overuse.
These are some of the common injuries that can happen in Golf.